I’ve just checked back in to my allotmenteer site - after an absence stretching over 2 years - to get the site up and running again. In saying that - the site has actually done quite well in terms of visitor numbers - it’s just that I haven’t done anything to keep it updated.
I have to admit that it’s pretty much the same with my allotment plot. I’m basically back to where I started about 5 years ago, only my plot is in a slightly better condition due to all the hard work I put in those first couple of years.
Digging the soil on my plot now shows clearly that it’s been beneficial to dig in those tonnes of organic matter - I now have plenty of worms working my soil - so it’s all good.
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to tend to my plot over the past two seasons, mainly because it has been totally infested with marestail weeds, successfully taking over all growing areas. Anyone who has been dealing with marestail is well aware what that means. They are notoriously difficult to get rid of, and though you wouldn’t think they can stop vegetables etc. from growing - they do!
This year I have tried to dig a part of the plot over, painstakingly removing as much of the marestail roots as possible, but I’m looking to take another couple of methods in use. I’ve found a systemic weed killer, called Kibosh, which apperas to deal with the marestail very well.
The problem that Glyphosate based weed killers have is with penetration, so another method I’m going to try out is injecting RoundUp into some of the marestail plants.
I am, of cause, going to keep all site visitors up to date with any developments.
Another thing I’m going to do this season is to get my wormeries back up and running, and post about those developments on these pages as well. As I go along I’m going to put together a guide on how to build a wormery, which I’ll make available for download, and also a guide to take things to the next stage and build a real worm farm on your plot.
Watch this space!!!